Mergers & Acquisitions
- Who To Contact
- Representative Matters
- Recent Developments
The Aird & Berlis Mergers & Acquisitions Group provides sophisticated legal advice to Canadian and international companies, private equity and other types of funds, and their respective advisors, in all types of public and private M&A transactions that are focused on Canada or have a Canadian component. Our comprehensive knowledge of the Canadian M&A market has made us a go-to law firm for U.S. and international clients seeking Canadian legal counsel.
The Aird & Berlis M&A Group and individual members of our team have been recognized by leading global and domestic legal directories such as Chambers Global and Chambers Canada, Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal, Best Lawyers in Canada and The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory. This hard-earned recognition only partly explains why our clients choose us. To earn the business of our clients, we draw heavily on our expertise in structuring and negotiating complex M&A transactions. Clients choose the Aird & Berlis M&A Group for our results-focused approach to negotiations and our ability – even when we are working with a client for the first time – to quickly incorporate key business objectives and specific industry conditions into transaction documents.
Our recent representative matters include:
- Advised Maritime Resources Corp. (TSXV: MAE) in all aspects of its acquisition of Point Rousse Mining Inc., owner of the Point Rousse Project located in Newfoundland and Labrador, including two concurrent financings, a memorandum of understanding with New Found Gold, and a financing and cooperation agreement with Shoreline Aggregates Inc.
- Advised Delta Consulting Group, an international consulting firm of multi-disciplined professionals in engineering, accounting, construction, program assessment and litigation support, in its acquisition of Froese Forensic Partners, a prominent independent financial investigative firm with oﬃces in Toronto and Calgary.
- Advised Jade Power Trust (TSXV:JPWR.UN) in connection with the sale of all its renewable energy assets located in Romania to Enery Power Holding GmbH,.
- Advised Juno Pharmaceuticals Corp., a leader in the commercialization of specialty pharmaceutical products, in its acquisition of Omega Laboratories, one of Canada’s largest domestic specialty injectable pharmaceutical manufacturers.
- Advised MediPharm Labs Corp. (TSX:LABS), a global leader in specialized, research-driven pharmaceutical-quality cannabis extraction, distillation and derivative products, in the completion of a definitive arrangement agreement whereby MediPharm acquired VIVO Cannabis Inc., a Canadian licensed cannabis producer.
- Advised Terminus Capital Partners, an Atlanta-based private equity firm, in its acquisition of Voxco, an actionable insights software platform.
- Advised the Zoeller Company, a U.S.-based pump manufacturer, in the acquisition of Burke Group, a Canadian water systems manufacturer.
- Advised San Cristobal Mining Inc., a private mining company, in its acquisition of Minera San Cristóbal S.A., an open-pit producing silver, zinc and lead mine in Bolivia.
- Advised Wynnchurch Capital, L.P., a leading middle market private equity firm, in the acquisition of FloWorks International, LLC, a leading specialty distributor of critical flow control products and provider of tailored technical solutions.
We apply our Canadian expertise to every M&A transaction in which our firm is engaged. Our deep understanding of the Canadian M&A market lets us advise our domestic and international clients and their advisors on the particularities of the Canadian market, including with respect to cross-border transactions.
International clients and their advisors choose Aird & Berlis for the ease with which we integrate into their deal team and our ability to seamlessly execute the Canadian components of their transaction. Cross-border clients also value the contribution of our industry-leading Tax Group. Innovative Canadian tax structuring often plays a central role in the negotiation and execution of a successful M&A transaction, and our tax lawyers are internationally recognized by leading legal and tax publications, such as Chambers Global, Chambers Canada and Chambers High Net Worth, Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal: Corporate Tax, Best Lawyers in Canada and The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, for their creative M&A tax planning.
In addition to our tax lawyers, our full-service business law firm offers expertise in complementary domestically and globally recognized practice areas such as Financial Services (Banking & Finance and Insolvency & Restructuring), Capital Markets, Corporate/Commercial, Competition, Antitrust & Foreign Investment, Workplace Law, Real Estate and Environmental, as well as lawyers with deep experience in key Canadian industries. Our M&A lawyers are active members of the International Bar Association, and travel extensively to understand the needs of clients in the United States, the United Kingdom, the European Union and worldwide.
We act for all participants in M&A transactions, including publicly-listed and privately-held buyers and sellers, private equity and other types of funds, debt and equity financiers, special committees of boards of directors, management-led buyout groups, activist stakeholders, merchant banks, investment bankers, and institutional and other investors. Our clients enjoy bespoke service at every stage of the transaction, including immediate access to our senior lawyers, all of whom are hands-on practitioners.
Our staffing model is unique for two reasons: first, our senior M&A lawyers are active participants and available to our clients in each transaction that involves them, which is not the case at all our peer firms; and second, our junior partners and associates are immersed in every transaction they work on, providing real value to our clients from the earliest stages of their careers.
Our M&A Group advises clients with respect to all types of public and private mergers and acquisitions, including:
- stock and asset purchases, including auctions and privately-negotiated transactions;
- mergers, amalgamations and plans of arrangement;
- going private transactions;
- special committee mandates;
- transactions with distressed companies or assets;
- takeovers (friendly and hostile) and activism matters;
- reverse takeovers; and
- leveraged buyouts and management buyouts.
The Aird & Berlis M&A Group’s extensive involvement in the Canadian market, along with the many strong relationships we have established with regulators, advisors and other key stakeholders, allows us to provide leading advice on M&A matters of all sizes and complexity.
On November 1, 2023, Linamar Corporation (TSX: LNR) ("Linamar") announced that it has completed its acquisition of a substantial portion of the U.S.-based assets of Mobex Fourth and 1, LLC and certain...
On October 23, 2023, Cybin Inc. (NYSE American: CYBN) (NEO: CYBN) and Small Pharma Inc. (TSXV: DMT) announced the completion of Cybin's acquisition of all of Small Pharma's issued and outstanding secu...
On October 13, 2023, control of Toronto-based cybersecurity firm DataStealth Inc. was acquired by Canadian tech entrepreneurs, Michael and Richard Hyatt.
Aird & Berlis represented Maritime Resources Corp. (TSXV: MAE) in all aspects of its acquisition of Point Rousse Mining Inc., owner of the Point Rousse Project located in Newfoundland and Labrador, in...
Thesis’ Ranch Project consolidates with Benchmark’s Lawyers Project to form a district-scale development with significant growth potential.
On August 16, 2023, Allied Properties Real Estate Investment Trust, a leading operator of distinctive urban workspace in Canada’s major cities, announced that it has completed the sale of its network-...
This strategic move marks a significant milestone for Delta as it expands its service oﬀerings and establishes a strong presence in the Canadian market.
In December 2022, MediPharm Labs Corp. (TSX:LABS) (“MediPharm”) and VIVO Cannabis Inc. (TSX:VIVO) (“VIVO”), two global leaders in the medical wellness cannabis industry, entered into a definitive arra...
ArticleThis article sets out some of the key Canadian-specific practices purchasers and advisors need to be aware of when it comes to sandbagging in the context of private M&A transactions involving Canadian...
Firm NewsAird & Berlis is pleased to announce its inclusion in The Globe and Mail’s Canada’s Best Law Firms 2024 list. For a third year, The Globe and Mail's Report on Business magazine partnered with Statista...
ArticleThis article provides an overview of typical exchangeable share structures implemented in cross-border M&A transactions involving a private Canadian target corporation, the characteristics of the exch...
ArticleFrom buyer profiles and industry trends to key commercial terms, this article examines critical deal points that shaped the public Canadian M&A deal landscape during the period covered by the most rec...
Firm NewsAird & Berlis is proud to announce that 91 members of the firm were selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada. The firm is recognized across 44 practice ...
Firm NewsThe Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory has recognized 51 partners at the firm as leading lawyers across 33 different practice areas. Aird & Berlis was also recognized at the firm level across 15 differe...
Firm NewsAird & Berlis is pleased to announce its inclusion in The Globe and Mail’s Canada’s Best Law Firms 2023 list. For a second year, The Globe and Mail's Report on Business magazine partnered with Statist...
Important Canadian Legal Considerations and Market Practices for U.S. and International Purchasers in Cross-Border Private M&A TransactionsIn this article, we outline both analogous and Canadian-specific elements to be considered by U.S. and International purchasers and their advisers when considering private acquisitions of Canadian cor...
Firm NewsAird & Berlis is proud to announce that 88 members of the firm were selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada. The firm is recognized across 43 practice ...
Addressing Risk Allocation in M&A Transactions Through the Use of Transactional Insurance: A Primer on Representation and Warranty Insurance in the Canadian M&A MarketThe natural tension between buyers and sellers in merger and acquisition transactions has led to countless hours being spent allocating risk and consequences of various elements of that risk. Many ris...
Firm NewsAird & Berlis is pleased to announce that Laura Dean, Ethan Eisen, Ajay Gajaria, Alicia McKeag, Danielle Muise, Saam Nainifard and Liam Tracey-Raymont have become partners of the firm.
Firm NewsAird & Berlis is proud to announce that 84 members of the firm were selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada. The firm is recognized across 43 practice ...