Aird & Berlis provides a broad range of services to participants in the fast-growing legal cannabis industry. The current medicinal marijuana industry is a maze of complex regulation and legislative ambiguity, with those participating in the space forced to navigate social and political uncertainty while trying to build a business, while the emerging recreational cannabis market will be similarly uncertain.
In the face of this ambiguity, our team of experienced lawyers provides a solid platform for growth. Our knowledge and expertise in corporate finance, corporate governance, tax, corporate structuring, intellectual property, litigation and real estate enables us to provide our clients with the legal services needed to succeed in Canada’s cannabis industry.
Aird & Berlis is at the forefront of this rapidly evolving market, and we are actively preparing clients for the opening of the recreational market in Canada and advising on the development of product lines and by-products leveraged from this emerging industry.
We have substantial experience serving producers, distributors, healthcare organizations and other cannabis industry participants, and an excellent grasp of the industry and the needs of our clients. Utilizing our corporate finance expertise, we help clients to take their business to the next level by assisting with financing and go-public transactions, including initial public offerings, reverse takeovers and qualifying transactions, as well as resulting public listings on the TSX, TSXV and CSE. We also advise established clients on regulatory compliance and import/export matters.
Aird & Berlis has substantial cross-border transaction and structuring experience. We recently took the first South American recreational producer public in Canada through a brokered private placement and subsequent qualifying transaction, and are currently involved with several go-public deals for companies involved in the U.S., Canadian and international cannabis industries.
Our lawyers and patent agents are active in the cannabis sector, frequently writing and presenting on emerging issues and legislative developments affecting our clients. The firm has sponsored, and members of the Cannabis Group have presented at, industry events such as the O’Cannabiz Conference and Expo in Toronto, the National Cannabis Bar Association Conference in Denver, Colorado, the Grow Up Cannabis Conference in Niagara Falls, the Lift Cannabis Business Conference and Expo (Toronto and Vancouver) and the MJBizCon International in Toronto.
Some of our selected publication and presentation topics include:
- Branding in the Cannabis Sector: Regulations, Restrictions and Tips on How to Market Your Brand
- Canadian Securities Exchange and OTC Markets Group Announce Strategic Alliance to Attract Foreign Issuers to North America
- TSX, TSX-V and CSA Clarify Their Positions on Listed Entities with Ties to U.S. Marijuana Market
- Leasing to Cannabis Businesses
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property During the Cannabis Boom
- Deals, Mergers and Acquisitions for Cannabis Businesses
- Office Spaced: What Employers Need to Know
- Growing Your ‘Cannabusiness’: From Seeds to the Stock Exchange
- Marijuana Legalization: Is Your Workplace Ready?
- The Government of Ontario Reveals Proposal for Regulatory Structure for the Sale and Distribution of Recreational Cannabis
- Supply Crunch in Canadian Marijuana Market
- Legalization of Recreational Marijuana: The Cannabis Industry’s Race to the Patent Office
- Decriminalization vs. Legalization: The Cannabis Act
- Business Challenges and Opportunities in Cross-Border Relations