Aird & Berlis provides a full range of legal services to participants in the cannabis industry. Whether you are in the research and development stages of business or focused on growth and expansion, we can address all of your legal needs.
Aird & Berlis is actively working with clients engaged in the medicinal and recreational markets in Canada and abroad. We have substantial experience serving producers, distributors, healthcare organizations and other innovative cannabis industry participants.
The cannabis sector is governed by a maze of complex and evolving regulations. In the face of this, our team of experienced lawyers and patent agents provides a solid platform to position our clients for growth. We advise clients on compliance with Canadian regulations as related to retail, distribution, licensing and workplace matters.
Our knowledge and expertise in capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, banking, lending, venture finance, corporate governance, tax, corporate structuring, marketing and advertising, intellectual property, technology, litigation, employment and real estate enable us to provide our clients with the legal services needed to succeed in Canada’s cannabis industry.
With extensive capital markets expertise, we help clients to take their business to the next level by assisting with financing and go-public transactions, including initial public offerings, reverse takeovers and qualifying transactions, as well as resulting listings on the TSX, TSXV and CSE.
Aird & Berlis has substantial cross-border transaction and structuring experience. We advise clients on global opportunities in both established and emerging markets. We took the first South American recreational producer public in Canada through a brokered private placement and subsequent qualifying transaction. We are currently involved with several go-public deals for companies involved in the U.S., Canadian and international cannabis industries.
Our lawyers and patent agents are active in the cannabis sector, frequently writing and presenting on emerging issues and legislative developments affecting our clients. The firm has sponsored, and members of the Cannabis Group have presented at, industry events such as the O’Cannabiz Conference and Expo, the National Cannabis Bar Association Conference, the Grow Up Cannabis Conference, the Lift Cannabis Business Conference and Expo (Toronto and Vancouver) and the MJBizCon International.
Some of our selected publication and presentation topics include:
- Opportunities in the Canadian Cannabis Market: Licensing, Leasing and Land Use
- Ontario Cannabis Retail Opportunities (and Limitations)
- Compliance and Liability in the Era of Cannabis Legalization: Tips, Traps and Strategies for Employers
- Cannabis Promotion: Seller Beware
- Acquiring Cannabis Genetics Under the New Cannabis Regime
- Legalizing Marijuana and Occupational Health & Safety
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property During the Cannabis Boom
- Mergers and Acquisitions in the Canadian Cannabis Sector
- Branding in the Cannabis Sector: Regulations, Restrictions and Tips on How to Market Your Brand
- TSX, TSX-V and CSA Clarify Their Positions on Listed Entities with Ties to U.S. Marijuana Market
- Deals, Mergers and Acquisitions for Cannabis Businesses
- Growing Your ‘Cannabusiness’: From Seeds to the Stock Exchange
- Legalization of Recreational Marijuana: The Cannabis Industry’s Race to the Patent Office
- Business Challenges and Opportunities in Cross-Border Relations