Climate Change and Cap & Trade
- Who To Contact
- Who We Help
- Recent Developments
With Ontario’s cap-and-trade system now in place, climate change will not only be an important environmental concern but also a critical operational issue for businesses across the province. Enterprises will require innovative business and legal solutions to effectively move the needle on lowering their greenhouse gas emissions.
Aird & Berlis LLP’s team of Energy Law experts is well-informed and committed to guiding clients through every step of their immediate and long-term initiatives aimed at reducing their carbon footprint.
We work closely and collaboratively with you to ensure compliance with the evolving de-carbonization of the economy and to assist you in transitioning your commercial arrangements to reflect this new business reality.
With specialized expertise in the energy field and a business-minded approach, we help clients navigate the complexities of climate change by:
- advising generators on market participation in Ontario’s cap-and-trade system and offering counsel on the impact that new legislation will have on existing contracts
- advising emitters on reporting and complying with regulatory requirements
- guiding companies through expansions resulting from carbon pricing and other carbon reductions such as facilitating credit transfer agreements and program compliance reviews
- addressing new issues and ongoing challenges associated with carbon offset and emissions trading markets
- advising private and public sector clients on renewable energy strategies, investments in clean technologies, adoption of lower carbon fuel consumption, and participation in carbon capture and storage programs
Who We Help
The energy field is constantly evolving with new developments and regulations that impact all players at every stage of projects and transactions. We pride ourselves on not just staying current but also staying ahead of the curve to avoid obstacles and optimize opportunities for our clients.
Our team of experienced energy lawyers has built a reputation for providing practical advice, inventive solutions, and exceptional service to a wide range of clients including:
- Government agencies
Aird & Berlis partners Fred Cass, Ron Clark and David Stevens are among the leading lawyers named in the Lexpert Special Edition: Energy 2020.
Aird & Berlis is proud to have 36 members of the firm recognized as leading practitioners in the 2019 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
EnergyInsiderIn the energy sector, the Ontario government announced a number of initiatives in 2020 to help those who were struggling to pay their energy bills as a result of COVID-19. However, a few other issues ...
EnergyInsiderAird & Berlis partners Fred Cass, Ron Clark and David Stevens are among the leading lawyers named in the Lexpert Special Edition: Energy 2020.