A&B’s Infrastructure Group is a diverse team of professionals providing innovative advice with respect to complex infrastructure projects and interests. We offer expertise in a number of areas, including public-private partnerships, project finance, procurement, energy, construction, real estate, municipal, tax, environmental, banking, insurance, dispute resolution and labour. Our experience in advising both public sector sponsors and a broad range of private sector participants gives us the perspective to deliver successful outcomes for our clients, whether with respect to balancing interests and allocating risk on new infrastructure or the refinancing or divestiture of existing infrastructure interests. We have advised on all manner of P3 projects, including DBFOM, DBFM, DBF and DBOM projects. We are sensitive to the needs of all stakeholders and the political ramifications of business decisions made in relation to infrastructure development.
The members of our Infrastructure Group have extensive experience and expertise in all aspects of infrastructure projects and assets in connection with a wide range of domestic and international transactions with a particular focus on public-private partnerships. We understand the policy, political, institutional and contractual issues in this area. Our lawyers have acted on behalf of federal, provincial and municipal governments and agencies as well as design-builders, O&M providers, equity sponsors, lenders, bond underwriters, institutional investors, subcontractors, construction and management companies with respect to various project and infrastructure procurements, financings, refinancings and divestitures. We have advised on a wide variety of projects across Canada and internationally, including major highways, bridges and road improvements, hospitals, mass transit systems, university and college buildings and residences, social housing projects, police stations, prisons, courthouses, data centres, sports & entertainment complexes, community recreational facilities, water and wastewater treatment facilities.
Members of our Infrastructure Group have significant experience in all aspects of the structuring, procurement, financing, refinancing and divestiture of infrastructure, and the complex legal issues that can and do arise in this area, including with respect to the following:
- Financing and security arrangements with private sector participants, including expertise in project finance, banking, construction lending, capital markets, private placement and private equity transactions.
- Negotiation of project, concession and lease agreements.
- Negotiation of teaming agreements.
- Negotiation of power purchase and energy capacity agreements and related procurement documentation.
- Real property issues, including acquisitions, leases, easements, licence agreements and expropriations.
- Construction, operation and maintenance and facilities management issues, including drafting and negotiation of subcontracts.
- Statutory requirements and other issues relating to public procurement, outsourcing of services, appropriations, ultra vires and sector-specific issues, including specialized enabling legislation for P3 transactions.
- Governance issues and consortium structures.
- Commercial issues affecting infrastructure transactions.
- Environmental and aboriginal issues.
- Labour relations and employment matters.
Our Canadian project experience includes advising on projects in Ontario, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Nova Scotia and Quebec.
Our lawyers are qualified to provide legal advice and expertise under the laws of Canada, England and Wales.