- Awards & Recognition
- Professional Involvement
- Selected Speaking Engagements
- Selected Publications
Barbara is the Former Chair of the Canadian Tax Foundation and Past Chair of the Executive Committee. Her practice is focused on income tax with an emphasis on corporate and partnership taxation, particularly in an international and cross-border context. She has expertise in structuring cross-border mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations. Barbara's practice includes advising on structures for real estate investments and divestitures, derivative transactions, REITs and syndications. She also has experience dealing with the resolution of tax disputes.
Barbara is recognized as a leading tax advisor in Chambers Global and Chambers Canada, Legal 500, Best Lawyers in Canada, Who’s Who, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and Martindale-Hubbell. She is a frequent speaker and presenter.
Awards & Recognition
- Listed in the prestigious Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business and Chambers Canada: Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading Canadian tax lawyer
- Noted in The Legal 500 Canada for her expertise in Tax
- Recognized as a Global Leader in Who's Who Legal - Corporate Tax: Advisory and Who's Who Legal - Corporate Tax: Controversy and as a National Leader in Who's Who Legal: Canada - Corporate Tax
- Chosen to appear in Legal Media Group's Tax Expert Guide and Women in Business Law Expert Guide
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada in the field of Tax Law
- Recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer in Corporate Tax
- Received the Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished Peer Review Rating for high professional achievement
- Member of Council, International Fiscal Association (Canadian Branch)
- Governor and Member of the Executive Committee, Canadian Tax Foundation
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- International Fiscal Association (Canadian Branch)
- Ontario Bar Association
Selected Speaking Engagements
Barbara is a frequent writer and presenter on tax matters, including;
“Selected M&A Issues in the Current Economy,” the Canadian Tax Foundation's Definitive Guide to Owner-Manager Taxation Conference, Webcast, September 22, 2020.
“Mergers and Acquisitions – Recent Trends,” 7th Annual IBA Finance & Capital Markets Tax Conference, London, England, January 29-30, 2018.
“Recent Transactions,” 31st Annual Senior Tax Practitioners’ Institute, Langdon Hall, Cambridge, Ontario, October 25-27, 2017.
“Foreign Exchange – A Canadian Perspective,” 71st Congress of the IFA, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 27 - September 1, 2017.
“Recent Canadian Merger Transactions,” 6th Annual IBA Tax Conference, London, England, January 30-31, 2017.
“Interest and Financing Costs,” 5th Annual IBA Tax Conference, London, England, February 8-9, 2016.
"Alternative non-treaty attacks on cross-border intercompany debt," Current International Tax Issues in Cross-Border Corporate Finance and Capital Markets, 3rd IBA/CIOT Conference, London, England, February 10-11, 2014.
"Practical Issues for U.S. Investment into Canada," 24th Annual Philadelphia Tax Conference, November 6-7, 2013.
"Cross Border Tax Update: Understanding Canadian and U.S. Taxation of Foreign Investment in Real Property," BNA-CITE 19th Annual U.S.-Canada Cross Border Conference, October 22, 2013.
"The Taxation of Foreign Passive Income for Groups of Companies: Canadian Report," International Fiscal Association (Canadian Branch): IFA 2013 Congress Reports, Montreal, May 23-24, 2013.
"Beneficial Ownership," 13th Annual Tax Planning Strategies U.S. and Europe, ABA Tax Panel, London, England, April 11-12, 2013.
"Impact of GAAR on Financing," Current International Tax Issues in Cross-Border Corporate Finance and Capital Markets, 2nd IBA/CIOT Conference, London, England, February 11-12, 2013.
Barbara is a regular contributor to various publications including;
“Taxes and Foreign Currency Exchange Rates – A Canadian Perspective,” co-authored with Jack Bernstein, Tax Notes International, November 20, 2017.
"The Taxation of Foreign Passive Income for Groups of Companies: Canadian Report," IFA 2013 Congress, Copenhagen, Denmark, August 25-30, 2013.
"2013 Federal Budget," co-authored with Jack Bernstein and Francesco Gucciardo, Tax Profile, June 2013.
"Update on Non-Resident Investment in Canadian Real Estate," co-authored with Jack Bernstein, Tax Notes International, May 6, 2013.
"Non-Resident Investment in Canadian Real Estate," co-authored with Jack Bernstein, Tax Profile, March 2013.
The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy Comes Into Force
Canada’s Emergency Wage Subsidy Provides Relief to Canadian Corporations
Delayed Implementation of New Stock Option Rules
Highlights of the 2018 Federal Budget
Tax News Flash - Changes to the Income Tax Act
- LLB, University of Toronto, 1983
- BA, University of Toronto, 1980