Steve prides himself on building strong relationships and getting to know his clients and their organizations well. As a strategic business advisor, he offers more than traditional legal advice, working closely with his clients to achieve their goals. Practicing predominantly in corporate finance, Steve is experienced in structuring and facilitating deals across various industries, always focused on building long-term relationships and enabling his clients’ success.
Steve is co-chair of the firm’s Venture Finance Group as well as a member of the Corporate/Commercial Group and Mergers & Acquisitions/Private Equity Group. He practises in the area of corporate finance, including venture capital, private equity, mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financings and shareholders' arrangements.
He has been a partner since 1995 and was a member of the firm's Executive Committee for more than 10 years.
Awards & Recognition
- Recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer in the area of Corporate Mid-Market.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada in Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Named as one of the 40 repeatedly recommended Canadian corporate mid-market lawyers in the Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada.
- Canadian Venture Capital & Private Equity Association (CVCA)
Selected Speaking Engagements
Steve has presented at a number of conferences on venture capital, commercial, corporate and securities law issues.
Co-author with Jack Bernstein, Stuart Bollefer and Dennis Miller; "Shareholders Agreements: A Tax and Legal Guide," 2nd Edition, CCH Canadian Limited, 2004.
Co-author, et al; "Equity Investments: Earn-in and Exit Strategies," The Canadian Investment Banking Review, 1992.
- LLB, Osgoode Hall Law School, 1984
- BA, History, University of Toronto, 1982