Energy Efficiency, Conservation & Clean Technology
- Who To Contact
- Recent Developments
From power generators and energy storage companies to cleantech startups and multinational corporations, businesses across the country are evolving to deal with ongoing climate change challenges. The Aird & Berlis Energy Efficiency, Conservation & Clean Technology Team offers keen insight into the differing roles within the industry and a practical approach to helping clients at every stage of their project or transaction.
With decades of experience in the policy, strategy and mechanics of energy regulation, we provide comprehensive legal advice and solutions to a broad range of clients, including the largest energy distributor in Canada, Ontario’s central electricity buyer and Ontario’s largest electricity generator.
Comprised of skilled corporate/commercial, M&A, financial services and technology lawyers, our team advises and represents you in the successful delivery of your commercial solutions designed to improve energy efficiency and conservation.
We bring focus, precision and value to all of our clients’ energy projects and transactions, which include:
- negotiating third-party service agreements to implement specific conservation programs and initiatives, as well as demand-side management programs for utilities-negotiating agreements for site control and project development for energy storage companies
- advising on Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) agreements with developers
- assisting hydrogen, RNG and biofuel producers with financing, engineering, procurement, construction, operating, service and utility agreements, permitting and compliance, as well as co-operative issues
- assisting in the negotiation of demand response agreements, compliance with IESO agreements, market rules
- advising early stage and mature clean technology companies on promoting efficient usage of resources and other sustainable business solutions to help them secure venture capital, traditional equity and debt financing, structuring and settling partnering arrangements, and developing value realization strategies and transactions
Who We Help
Through creative and strategic guidance, we enable you to provide viable and competitive alternatives for your customers, while also delivering favourable returns for your investors.
With a clear understanding of the business challenges and opportunities that our clients face at every stage of development, we represent:
- Utilities, generators and distributors
- Electricity buyers
- Public agencies, regulators and associations
- Energy storage companies
- Energy service providers
- Clean technology startups and established companies
- Environmental technology companies
EnergyInsiderThis past year has included significant news about tax incentives and other financial developments designed to facilitate investments in less-carbon-intensive electricity generation in Ontario.
EnergyInsiderCommissioned by the Minister of Energy in April 2022, the report outlines a strategic road map for Ontario’s transition to a clean energy economy.
EnergyInsiderIn a Pathways to Decarbonization report released by the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) on December 15, 2022, at the request of Ontario’s Minister of Energy, the IESO found that a morat...
EnergyInsiderIn the energy sector, the Ontario government announced a number of initiatives in 2020 to help those who were struggling to pay their energy bills as a result of COVID-19. However, a few other issues ...
EnergyInsiderAird & Berlis partners Fred Cass, Ron Clark and David Stevens are among the leading lawyers named in the Lexpert Special Edition: Energy 2020.
Firm NewsAird & Berlis partners Fred Cass, Ron Clark and David Stevens are among the leading lawyers named in the Lexpert Special Edition: Energy 2020.
Firm NewsAird & Berlis is proud to have 36 members of the firm recognized as leading practitioners in the 2019 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.