Energy Efficiency, Conservation & Clean Technology
- Who To Contact
- Who We Help
- Recent Developments
From power generators to storage companies and cleantech start-ups to multinational corporations, businesses across the country are stepping up to help resolve ongoing climate change challenges. The Aird & Berlis Clean Technology Team offers keen insight into the differing roles within the industry and a practical approach to helping clients at every stage of their project or transaction.
With decades of experience in the policy, strategy, and mechanics of energy regulation, we provide comprehensive legal advice and solutions to a broad range of clients including the largest energy distributor in Canada, Ontario’s central electricity buyer, and Ontario’s largest electricity generator.
Comprised of skilled corporate/commercial, M&A, financial services and technology lawyers, our team counsels and represents you in the successful delivery of your commercial solutions designed to improve energy efficiency and conservation.
We bring focus, precision and value to all of our clients’ energy projects and transactions including:
- negotiating various third-party service agreements to implement specific conservation programs and initiatives as well as demand-side management programs for utilities·negotiating agreements for site control and project development for energy storage companies
- advising on Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) agreements with developers
- assisting biofuel companies including ethanol and biodiesel with financing, engineering, procurement, and construction, operating, service and utility agreements, permitting and compliance, and co-operative issues
- assisting in the negotiation of demand response (DR) agreements, compliance with IESO agreements, and market rules
- advising early-stage and mature clean technology companies on promoting efficient uses of resources and other sustainable business solutions to help them secure venture capital, traditional equity and debt financing, structuring and settling partnering arrangements, and developing value realization strategies and transactions
Many of our team members have been recognized as leading practitioners in their respective areas of expertise by authoritative sources, including:
- Guide to the World’s Leading Energy and Natural Resource Lawyers
- The Legal 500 Canada
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- The Best Lawyers in Canada
Who We Help
Through creative and strategic guidance, we enable you to provide viable and competitive alternatives for your customers, while also delivering favourable returns for your investors.
With a clear understanding of the business challenges and opportunities that our clients face at every stage of development, we represent:
- Utilities, generators, and distributors
- Electricity buyers
- Public agencies, regulators, and associations
- Energy storage companies
- Biofuel producers including ethanol and biodiesel
- Energy service providers
- Clean technology start-ups and established companies
- Environmental technology companies
- Green Bank applicants
Aird & Berlis partners Fred Cass, Ron Clark and David Stevens are among the leading lawyers named in the Lexpert Special Edition: Energy 2020.
Aird & Berlis is proud to have 36 members of the firm recognized as leading practitioners in the 2019 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
EnergyInsiderIn the energy sector, the Ontario government announced a number of initiatives in 2020 to help those who were struggling to pay their energy bills as a result of COVID-19. However, a few other issues ...
EnergyInsiderAird & Berlis partners Fred Cass, Ron Clark and David Stevens are among the leading lawyers named in the Lexpert Special Edition: Energy 2020.