Franchise, Distribution & Licensing
- Who To Contact
- Representative Matters
Whether you are a business owner embarking upon an expansion through a franchise distribution model, a new franchisor or a distributor of products or services, you require legal professionals with a high degree of expertise and experience to guide you through the increasingly complex world of franchising.
Our lawyers have represented some of the world’s foremost franchises and have provided legal services to Canadian and international clients on all aspects of Canadian franchise law. We assist our clients with all their franchise, distribution and licensing matters, including:
- Purchase and sale of individual units or complete franchise systems
- Master franchising and area development agreements
- Concept and strategy surrounding a new franchise
- Contract drafting and negotiation, including franchise agreements and shareholder agreements
- Creation of a Franchise Disclosure Document
- Marketing and administrative procedures around disclosure
- Franchise resales
- Formation and administration of franchisee associations
- Dispute management and litigation
- Regulatory and statutory compliance
- Interprovincial and international franchising
- Intellectual property protection and licensing
The members of our group also have experience in other areas of practice which are affected by franchising, such as labour and employment, workplace health and safety, environmental and competition, to name a few.
Easton’s Group of Hotels, a leading developer, owner and manager of Canadian hospitality real estate, recently completed the sale of three high-quality focused-service properties for an aggregate pric...
Aird & Berlis LLP acted for an international law firm in connection with its potential expansion into Canada when it was considering the establishment of a relationship with a law firm to be newly...
Aird & Berlis LLP acted for Transeastern Power Trust (the “Trust”) on its initial public offering of units and convertible unsecured subordinate debentures for aggregate gross proceeds of approxim...
Estrella International Energy Services Ltd. Completes US$117 Million Acquisition of San Antonio ColombiaOn November 1, 2013, Estrella International Energy Services Ltd. (“Estrella”) (TSX Venture Exchange: EEN) completed the final step in its acquisition of the Colombian oil and gas service operations of...
Aird & Berlis LLP has completed two acquisition transactions of vacation parks in Ontario for National RV Communities LLC (now part of the Carefree Communities Inc.).
Aird & Berlis LLP acted for Feronia Inc. (TSX:FRN), a large-scale commercial farmland and plantation operator in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in connection with its recent US$25M private ...
A&B acted for Haggar Clothing Co., a leader in men’s apparel for over 85 years, in its acquisition of Tribal Sportswear from Kilmer Capital Fund L.P. for an undisclosed amount.