- Professional Involvement
- Selected Speaking Engagements
- Selected Publications
Alexander is passionate about the development of cities, communities and neighbourhoods. He draws from his experience in the public and private sector to help clients navigate the municipal approvals process and understand how land use planning policy and zoning regulations impact and shape their development projects.
Alexander is a member of the firm’s Municipal & Land Use Planning Group. In his practice, Alexander advises developers, municipalities, government agencies, ratepayer associations and members of the public on a broad range of land use planning and development matters. Alexander regularly represents clients before the Ontario Land Tribunal (formerly the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal) and Toronto Local Appeal Body on appeals regarding zoning by-law and official plan amendments, minor variance and consent applications, site plan control matters and plans of subdivision. As part of his strong advocacy practice, Alexander has extensive experience in formal mediation and represented negotiations and appears regularly before municipal councils and committees and the Divisional Court.
In additional to managing development applications under the Planning Act, Alexander also provides strategic advice to his clients regarding the Municipal Act, City of Toronto Act and the Ontario Heritage Act.
Prior to joining Aird & Berlis, Alexander worked as a senior lawyer in the City of Toronto’s Legal Services Division, Planning and Administrative Tribunal Law section. From this experience, he has extensive knowledge of the municipal development approval and decision making process. Alexander also is a sessional lecturer on land use planning practice in the Department of Human Geography at the University of Toronto Scarborough and is a frequent guest lecturer and speaker on topics in municipal and planning law.
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Sessional Lecturer, “The Toronto Region” and “City Studies Workshop II,” Department of Human Geography, University of Toronto Scarborough
- Guest Lecturer, "Environmental Planning" for Course CITC14H3, University of Toronto Scarborough, Undergraduate City Studies Program
- Guest Lecturer, "Land Use Planning Law" for Course ENVS 6165, York University, Master of Environmental Studies Program
- Guest Lecturer, "Municipal and Planning Law in Ontario" for Course CITC04H3, University of Toronto Scarborough, Undergraduate City Studies Program
- Guest Lecturer, "Urban Transportation: Introduction to Critical Issues" for Course SOSC3717, York University, Undergraduate Urban Studies Program
- Guest Lecturer, "Getting to Know the Ontario Municipal Board: Planner at the OMB 101" for Ryerson Association of Planning Students Lecture Series, Ryerson University, School of Urban and Regional Planning
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Parkland Appeals," A Deep Dive: Analyzing the Legislative Changes of Bill 23 (Webinar), 2023.
- Speaker, "How Compliance with Rules of Practice and Procedure Affects Outcomes and Strategy in Local Planning Appeal Tribunal Appeals,” Ontario Bar Association, Professionalism for Planning and Municipal Lawyers Series, 2018.
- Panellist, "Toronto Local Appeal Body: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,” Lambda Alpha International Land Economic Society, 2018.
- Speaker, "Dealing with Unrepresented Litigants at the Ontario Municipal Board,” Ontario Bar Association, Professionalism for Planning and Municipal Lawyers Series, 2017.
- Speaker, "Navigating the Municipal Site Plan Approvals Process,” Ontario Bar Association, Construction Work Ahead: Land Development and Construction Law Issues in Ontario Program, 2017.
- Speaker, "Privately Owned Publically-Accessible Spaces ('POPS'),” Ontario Bar Association, Easements for Real Estate and Municipal Lawyers: Level II, Continuing Education Program, 2016.
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration, University of Western Ontario, 2020
- Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop, Osgoode Professional Development, 2017
- JD, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 2012
- MA, York University, 2012
- BA (Hons.), University of Toronto, 2008