- Representative Matters
- Selected Publications
Al’s practice spans a wide variety of corporate and securities law matters. He enjoys the challenge of developing practical solutions for issues arising during complex transactions. Al’s clients appreciate his strong work ethic, communication skills and attention to detail, as well as his commitment to building long-lasting relationships.
Al is a member of the firm’s Capital Markets, Sports, Media and Entertainment, Corporate/Commercial, Startups & Emerging Companies, Venture Finance and Charities & Not-for-Profits Groups. He provides advice on mergers and acquisitions, securities law, corporate finance, charitable and non-profit work, private equity, venture capital, limited partner advisory committees, startups, emerging companies and markets, corporate governance and ongoing general corporate and commercial activities.
Al’s charity and not-for-profit experience includes assisting clients with obtaining and amending charitable registration, incorporating and governing under not-for-profit corporate statutes, implementing governance best practices, preparing charity-specific forms of agreement (e.g., agency/intermediary, gift, fundraising), and merging charities, as well as assisting with general corporate/commercial matters.
Al joined Aird & Berlis as an associate after summering and articling with the firm.
- Represented The Green Organic Dutchman Holdings Ltd. (CSE:TGOD) in the completion of a marketed public offering of units.
- Advised The Green Organic Dutchman Holdings Ltd. (CSE:TGOD), a sustainable Canadian cannabis company and producer of premium, organically grown cannabis, in completing the acquisition of BZAM Holdings Inc., a privately-owned producer of flower and 2.0 products.
- Represented SQI Diagnostics Inc., a leader in the science of lung health that develops and manufactures respiratory health and precision medical tests, in connection with its acquisition of the assets underlying Precision Biomonitoring Inc.’s human diagnostic COVID-19 PCR testing business and its TripleLock™ molecular diagnostic testing technology.
- Represented Keystone Canna Remedies in its acquisition by TerrAscend Corp., a North American cannabis operator, for US$70 million.
- Represented Small Pharma Ltd, a U.K.-based neuropharmaceutical company specialized in IP-led development of novel treatments for mental health conditions, in its acquisition by Small Pharma Inc. (formerly Unilock Capital Corp.) (TSXV: DMT) by way of a qualifying transaction and its related brokered and non-brokered private placements for aggregate gross proceeds of $63 million and initial TSX Venture Exchange listing.
- Represented Otso Gold Corp. (TSXV:OTSO) in connection with Brunswick Gold Ltd. making a US$11 million investment in Otso.
"Bill C-11 Proposes to Regulate Canada’s Online Streaming Services," Internet and E-Commerce in Canada, April 2022.
"Disclosure of Non-GAAP Financial Measures: A Practical Guide to National Instrument 52-112," co-authored with Melanie Cole and Sean Green, Aird & Berlis LLP Capital Markets Bulletin, January 2022.
- JD, University of Ottawa, 2020
- BA, University of Manitoba, 2014