- Professional Involvement
- Selected Speaking Engagements
Kristi leverages her scientific knowledge, technical skills and extensive experience in environmental law to help clients understand and navigate complex regulatory regimes and requirements. The landscape of environmental and planning law is rapidly evolving and Kristi consistently stays on top of changes to legislation, regulations and case law.
Kristi is a member of the firm’s Environmental and Litigation Groups. She advises private and public sector clients including businesses and corporations, property developers, community housing developers, energy producers, not-for-profit and community groups, and government bodies and municipalities on a wide range of matters. Her work includes providing environmental advice in relation to infrastructure projects, social governance initiatives, environmental remediation and regulation, hydroelectric generation, renewable energy projects, climate change and recycling requirements. Kristi advises Indigenous groups on environmental and planning laws, and has experience negotiating Impact Benefit Agreements in the context of natural resource development.
Kristi’s experience advising on ESG matters includes disclosure obligations and practices, green marketing claims and supply chain transparency. She is also experienced in advising corporations and Boards of Directors on environmental liabilities, environmental management systems and director and officer liability.
Kristi regularly appears before boards and tribunals, including the Ontario Land Tribunal, the former Environment Review Tribunal and the Ontario Municipal Board and the Assessment Review Board, as well as before the Ontario and Federal courts. She obtained a unique perspective of the judicial process working as a Law Clerk at the Federal Court of Appeal.
Kristi understands the interaction between environmental and planning laws and advises municipalities on environmental and planning matters with respect to infrastructure projects and the drafting of by-laws. She also works with developers, non-profit housing developers and community groups on land-use planning approvals, frequently appearing before municipal council’s and the Ontario Land Tribunal.
Kristi’s passion for environmental law is driven by her desire to give back to her community in a positive way and make the world a more sustainable place. She sits on the board of EnviroCentre, an Ottawa not-for-profit that scopes, designs, delivers and scales practical solutions to reduce climate emissions where she holds the position of Secretary and is also a member of the Governance Committee.
- Board Member, Secretary and Member of Governance Committee, EnviroCentre
- Member and CPD Liaison, Environmental Law Section, Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Co-speaker, "Lost at Sea: Navigating the Uncharted Waters of Emerging Contaminants," Cambridge Forum on Environmental Law, October 25-27, 2023.
- Chair, "Litigation Stream and Environmental Cross Border Litigation Panel," Ontario Legal Conference Cross Borders, May 04, 2023.
- Panelist, "Q&A Webinar: Bill 23 and changes to Ottawa city planning," Stittsville Ward, City of Ottawa, November 23, 2022.
- Co-chair, "Alternative Dispute Resolution At The Ontario Land Tribunal," Ontario Bar Association Conference, March 10, 2022
- Speaker, "Ministerial Zoning Orders: the Interaction between the Planning Act and Environmental Protection," The Six-minute Environmental Lawyer Conference, Law Society of Ontario, October 18, 2021.
- Chair, "Who’s On The Hook? Contaminated Site Litigation Case Law Update April," Ontario Bar Association Conference, 2021
- Chair, "Key Changes in the Environmental Assessment Act – What You Need to Know Following the Passage of Bill 197," Ontario Bar Association, September 2020.
- Mentorship Speaker, "Environmental Law Mentorship," Ontario Bar Association, September 2019.
- Speaker, "Cross Country Air Update Panel," 2014 Environmental, Energy and Resources Law Summit State of Play on Air Regulation in Canada, Canadian Bar Association, Ottawa, May 29, 2014.
- Chair and Speaker, “Amendments to the Fisheries Act and the Species at Risk Act," Things You Thought You Knew about Environment Law (but actually don’t), OBA Institute, February 7, 2013.
- Chair and Speaker, "Managing Fill: When is Soil "Waste", and Where Can it Go?," Environmental Law Program, Ontario Bar Association, November 20, 2012.
- Speaker, "Hot Topics in Environmental Law," Ontario Bar Association (Ottawa), June 25, 2009.
- Speaker, "Putting the Puzzle Together: An Exploration of Emerging and Critical Issues in Environmental Civil Litigation," Ontario Bar Association, April 6, 2009.
- Speaker, "The Legal Framework for Contaminated Site Redevelopment in Canada: a Cross Country Perspective," United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Brownfields 2008 Conference, Detroit, MI, May 5-7, 2008.
Joint LL.B and Masters of Environmental Studies, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2003
BA, Natural Resource Management and Environmental Science, University of Toronto, 1999