The insolvency or restructuring of a business can create complex issues and competing agendas. With a broad range of experience, Aird & Berlis LLP’s Insolvency & Restructuring lawyers are able to recognize opportunities and negotiate solutions that maximize recoveries and minimize risk, time and expense.
Recognized as leaders in their field, our Insolvency & Restructuring lawyers draw on specialized experience and diverse expertise from other areas of the firm to develop effective strategies and successfully represent clients in both the boardroom and the courtroom. We are adept at navigating out-of-court restructurings, the purchase and sale of distressed businesses and assets, the structuring and implementation of debt workout arrangements for senior and subordinated lenders, borrowers and investors and assisting regulatory bodies with investigations and enforcement strategies.
We have extensive international experience and are able to leverage deep connections throughout Canada and the world to provide truly global advice. We have assisted with significant insolvency and restructuring mandates in the United States, the United Kingdom, Africa and the Caribbean.
As a valuable extension of their management teams, clients look to us for intelligent transactional advice, practical solutions and commitment to client satisfaction with a range of services, including:
- Proceedings under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA)
- Proceedings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (BIA)
- Reorganizations under the Canada Business Corporations Act (CBCA) and the Ontario Business Corporations Act (OBCA)
- Secured lender representation – enforcement and recovery
- Monitor, receiver and trustee representation
- Creditors’ rights and remedies
- Corporate and commercial workouts
- Priority disputes
- Governmental or quasi-governmental issues
- Power of sale and mortgage remedies
- Debtor-in-possession (DIP) financings
- Loan portfolio and security review, assessment and analysis