- Awards & Recognition
- Selected Publications
Donald Carr is a highly-regarded legal practitioner, with expansive experience dating back to 1951. After practising litigation, commercial leasing and public and private corporate law, Donald focused his practice on estates and trusts and charities law. He has been advising on estate and succession planning, estate and trust administration and general business matters for many years and provides specialized expertise and counsel to individuals and charitable organizations.
In 2006, Donald was appointed to the Order of Ontario which is reserved for Ontarians from all fields of endeavour, whose excellence has left a lasting legacy in the province. He received the province’s highest honour for his exceptional work in serving as counsel to a wide range of charities and not-for-profit organizations and for contributing to access to justice through his pro bono legal work.
Donald has played significant roles in a multitude of community organizations, both locally and across Canada, and has served on the boards of directors of several well-known commercial ventures.
He was a founder and senior partner of Goodman and Carr LLP as well as the firm’s Chair for its first 25 years.
Awards & Recognition
- Trust and Estate Practitioner designation (TEP)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Trusts and Estates, 2013–2023
- Best Lawyers Global Business Edition in Trusts & Estates, 2020
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Charities and Not-for-Profit and Estate & Personal Tax Planning, 2015–2022
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer
- Recipient of Lexpert’s Zenith Award, 2012
- Appointed to the Order of Ontario, 2006
- LHD (Doctor of Humane Letters), Yeshiva University, New York, 1983
- Recipient of the Ben Sadowski Award of Merit, 1979 (Toronto Federation)
- Appointed King’s Counsel, 1964
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Board of Governors, Haifa University, Haifa, Israel
- Board of Directors, Lands of the Bible Archaeology Foundation Canada
- International Council of Beth Hatefutsoth, Tel Aviv, Israel
- International Board of Tel Aviv Foundation, Tel Aviv, Israel
Past Board Memberships
- Acklands Limited
- Vice-Chair, Bank Leumi (Canada)
- Edper Enterprises Ltd.
- Koffler Stores Ltd. (Shoppers Drug Mart)
- Pennington’s Stores Ltd.
- United Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd.
- McDonald’s Restaurants of Canada Ltd.
- The Oshawa Group Ltd.
- Board of Trustees, Summit REIT
- Secretary, Hon. Counsel and Member of National Executive, United Israel Appeal of Canada Inc.
- Advisory Board, Canadian Council for Israel and Jewish Advocacy
- Chair, National Budgeting Conference of Canadian Jewry
- President, Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto
- President, United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto (Toronto Federation)
- President, Reading Law Club, Toronto
- Vice-President and Hon. Counsel, Canadian Jewish Congress
- Vice-President, Toronto Jewish Congress
- Board Member, Jewish Vocational Services
- Board Member, United Way of Metropolitan Toronto
- Former President, now Chair Emeritus, The Canadian Jewish News
“An Expensive Power of Attorney, Courtesy of the Income Tax Act,” Aird & Berlis LLP Estates Law Bulletin, July 26, 2019
“Report of the Special Senate Committee on the Charitable Sector,” Aird & Berlis LLP Estates Law Bulletin, June 27, 2019
“Highlights of the 2019 Federal Budget,” Aird & Berlis LLP Tax News Flash, March 19, 2019
“An Update on Multiple Wills,” Aird & Berlis LLP Estates Law Bulletin, November 21, 2018
“A Problem Crying out for an Early Resolution,” Aird & Berlis LLP Estates Law Bulletin, November 13, 2018
“Highlights of the 2018 Federal Budget,” Aird & Berlis LLP Tax News Flash, February 27, 2018
“Charities and NPOs exempt from FATCA,” Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, May 2014
“Thoughts after 61 Years Of Practice,” It’s Personal, Vol 6, Issue 4, 2013
Federal Budget Review, 2013
“Foreign Activities Guidance: Outside Canada Means Inside Canada as Well,” Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, December 2010
“A Fate Worse Than Death (Revocation)?” Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, May 2008
- JD, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University