- Awards & Recognition
- Professional Involvement
- Representative Matters
- Selected Speaking Engagements
Amy is a commercially-minded advocate who takes a strategic and practical approach to helping clients achieve their ultimate business goals. She is known as a passionate, innovative and detail-oriented lawyer, esteemed by clients for her interpersonal and strong litigation skills.
Amy is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property and Litigation & Dispute Resolution Groups. She represents a wide variety of clients, including startup and scaling companies, multinational organizations and Fortune 500 companies, across sectors such as life sciences, technology, manufacturing, energy, and food and consumer packaged goods.
Leveraging her degree in biochemistry and intellectual property expertise, Amy has a thorough understanding of how the innovative and generic sides of the pharmaceutical industry operate and their respective regulatory constraints. She has represented various life sciences clients, including pharmaceutical and medical device companies, in patent infringement and impeachment actions, as well as proceedings under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations (PM(NOC) Regulations) and resulting damages therefrom. Amy regularly advises such clients on regulatory matters, advertising and licensing issues and has supported various corporate transactions of IP assets.
Amy guides clients on branding and copyright issues, trademark portfolio management and strategy, and has represented clients in trademark oppositions, trademark and copyright infringement and passing-off proceedings, as well as proceedings pertaining to domain names and social media-related disputes.
Amy is a strong litigator with significant experience representing clients on a broad range of intellectual property matters. Her practice includes all areas of intellectual property law, with a particular emphasis on complex interjurisdictional IP litigation. She has appeared before the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and specialized tribunals such as the Trademarks Opposition Board. Amy frequently presents and contributes to publications in the intellectual property field.
Awards & Recognition
- Recognized in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: Leading Lawyer to Watch in the field of Intellectual Property
- Recognized in IAM Patent 1000, 2019 – 2022 for Litigation
- LMG Award, 2016: Patent Contentious Case of the Year
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Represented Canadian Tire Corporation in defence of patent infringement action
- Represented Wyeth LLC in defence of patent impeachment action maintaining the validity of a key patent (2021 FC 317)
- Represented Gilead Sciences Inc. and Gilead Sciences Canada, Inc. in successful patent infringement and impeachment action (2015 FC 1156, affirmed 2017 FCA 161, opponent’s leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada dismissed, 2018 CanLII 35644)
- Represented Royal Bank of Canada in trademark infringement and passing-off litigation
- Represented various scaling technology and CPG companies in trademark infringement and passing-off litigation
- Provided copyright and branding advice and dispute resolution strategy development for several emerging and scaling businesses
- Acted as Counsel on eight actions (representing variously Pfizer, Eli Lilly, GlaxoSmithKline) defending against claims for damages brought under section 8 of the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, "What Do You Mean I Don’t Own My IP?: Addressing Chain of Title and Ownership Issues," IPIC Webinar, September 14, 2022.
- Panellist, "Hot Topics in Patent Law," Canadian Bar Association IP Day, May 2019.
- "Oppositions and s. 45 Proceedings," NRFC Progamme on Understanding Canada's Modernized Trademark Regime, April 2019.
- Panellist, "Expert Evidence – Cutting to the Case,” University of Toronto Patent Colloquium, November 2018.
- JD, University of Toronto, 2007
- B.Sc. (Hons.), Biochemistry, McMaster University, 2003