- Awards & Recognition
- Professional Involvement
- Representative Matters
- Selected Speaking Engagements
Amy is a strong litigator with significant experience representing clients on a broad range of intellectual property matters before the courts and administrative tribunals. Her practice includes all areas of intellectual property law, with a particular emphasis on complex patent and trademark litigation. Amy is a passionate advocate who takes a strategic and practical approach to helping clients achieve their ultimate business goals.
Amy is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property Group and Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group. She represents a wide variety of clients, including startup and scaling companies, multinational organizations and Fortune 500 companies, across sectors such as life sciences, technology and consumer packaged goods. She has represented clients in patent infringement and impeachment actions in Canada, including pharmaceutical companies in proceedings under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations (PM(NOC) Regulations). She has also defended against claims for damages pursuant to section 8 of the PM(NOC) Regulations and has represented clients recovering patent infringement damages and profits.
Amy advises clients on branding and copyright issues, trademark portfolio management and strategy, and has represented clients in trademark oppositions, trademark and copyright infringement and passing-off proceedings, as well as proceedings pertaining to domain names and social media-related disputes.
Amy has appeared before the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and specialized tribunals such as the Trademarks Opposition Board. She frequently presents and contributes to publications in the intellectual property field.
Awards & Recognition
- Recognized in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: Leading Lawyer to Watch in the field of Intellectual Property
- Recognized in IAM Patent 1000, 2019 – 2022 for Litigation
- LMG Award, 2016: Patent Contentious Case of the Year
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Represented Canadian Tire Corporation in defence of patent infringement action
- Represented Wyeth LLC in defence of patent impeachment action maintaining the validity of a key patent (2021 FC 317)
- Represented Gilead Sciences Inc. and Gilead Sciences Canada, Inc. in successful patent infringement and impeachment action (2015 FC 1156, affirmed 2017 FCA 161, opponent’s leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada dismissed, 2018 CanLII 35644)
- Represented Royal Bank of Canada in trademark infringement and passing-off litigation
- Represented various scaling technology and CPG companies in trademark infringement and passing-off litigation
- Provided copyright and branding advice and dispute resolution strategy development for several emerging and scaling businesses
- Acted as Counsel on eight actions (representing variously Pfizer, Eli Lilly, GlaxoSmithKline) defending against claims for damages brought under section 8 of the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Panellist, “Hot Topics in Patent Law," Canadian Bar Association IP Day, May 2019.
- "Oppositions and s. 45 Proceedings," NRFC Progamme on Understanding Canada's Modernized Trademark Regime, April 2019.
- Panellist, "Expert Evidence – Cutting to the Case,” University of Toronto Patent Colloquium, November 2018.
- JD, University of Toronto, 2007
- B.Sc. (Hons.), Biochemistry, McMaster University, 2003