From solar panels to wind turbines, renewable energy offers a world of potential. However, as a relatively new sector, there are still many unique challenges and obstacles associated with alternative sources. Clients rely on our legal experts to advise them strategically on the successful development of a renewable energy project.
As one of the very few Canadian law firms with experience in this field, Aird & Berlis offers unparalleled knowledge and focus to guide clients through every phase of their energy matter including site assessments, financing, construction, contract negotiations, permitting requirements, or raw product supply.
Our practical, results-driven advice and cooperative, team-oriented approach helps businesses achieve their objectives successfully and efficiently.
Drawing on lawyers from a range of practice areas, our dynamic advisory team assists with:
- all phases of the development process for public and private sector developers of wind, solar, biogas, biomass, and waterpower including site acquisition, structuring and financing, power purchase agreements, engineering, procurement, and construction, and connection, and permitting requirements
- negotiation of partnership and joint venture agreements including agreements with Indigenous communities
- representation at the Environmental Review Tribunal to defend the issuance of the renewable energy approval
- refinancing, partnering or selling projects to assist developers in realizing the value of their investments at various stages
- consideration by land and building owners to permit the development of renewable energy facilities on their properties
- investment capital from financiers to developers and owners at all stages of a renewable energy initiative
- all phases of the connection process for distributors in renewable generating projects, including the negotiation of study, cost recovery, and operating agreements
- negotiation of service agreements for owner/operators who have acquired renewable energy projects
- procurement for government and private ‘behind the meter’ entities as they have contracted for the purchase of power generated by renewable energy facilities
- development of standard offer programs and management of contracted renewable energy facilities for government procurement agencies
- applications for funding from the Ontario Climate Change Solutions Deployment Corporation, also known as the Green Bank.
Members of our Renewable Energy team have been recognized to be amongst the best in their fields by resources such as:
- The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
- Who’s Who Legal: Canada
- The Legal 500 Canada
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Legal Media Group Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in Canada
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory