With Ontario’s cap-and-trade system now in place, climate change will not only be an important environmental concern but also a critical operational issue for businesses across the province. Enterprises will require innovative business and legal solutions to effectively move the needle on lowering their greenhouse gas emissions.
Aird & Berlis LLP’s team of Energy Law experts is well-informed and committed to guiding clients through every step of their immediate and long-term initiatives aimed at reducing their carbon footprint.
We work closely and collaboratively with you to ensure compliance with the evolving de-carbonization of the economy and to assist you in transitioning your commercial arrangements to reflect this new business reality.
With specialized expertise in the energy field and a business-minded approach, we help clients navigate the complexities of climate change by:
- advising generators on market participation in Ontario’s cap-and-trade system and offering counsel on the impact that new legislation will have on existing contracts
- advising emitters on reporting and complying with regulatory requirements
- guiding companies through expansions resulting from carbon pricing and other carbon reductions such as facilitating credit transfer agreements and program compliance reviews
- addressing new issues and ongoing challenges associated with carbon offset and emissions trading markets
- advising private and public sector clients on renewable energy strategies, investments in clean technologies, adoption of lower carbon fuel consumption, and participation in carbon capture and storage programs