The rapid rise of the financial technology sector and the widespread adoption of associated products has made it clear that FinTech is no longer an outlier; it is a major influencer on how business is conducted. From mobile payment solutions to artificial intelligence to financial product intermediaries to data security, cutting edge has gone mainstream.
Aird Berlis offers a dynamic, experienced, and multidisciplinary legal team to navigate clients through an often-challenging industry. We help clients realize their potential and achieve their business goals, profitably and efficiently.
By combining legal expertise from technology, banking, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, and private equity, we provide a full-range of legal services and advice to start-ups, growth companies and financial institutions, as well as their investors.
Our deep understanding of the business, legal and regulatory landscape enables us to develop inventive and strategic solutions that mitigate unforeseen risks, safeguard clients’ intellectual property rights, and protect the integrity and value of their investments.
We assist clients with respect to:
- corporate and tax structuring, including formation and governance matters
- public and private financing advice
- the development, protection and commercialization of proprietary solutions
- all regulatory aspects, including permits, licences, registrations and compliance with provincial securities commissions, IIROC regulations and applicable legislation relating to pay-day lending, consumer protection and banking
- arrangements between technology providers and financial institutions and other organizations
- blockchain technology and the regulation of digital currency and platforms
- data privacy and security for both providers and end-users
- mobile apps, wallets and payment methods
- intellectual property rights, including protection, enforcement, and litigation
- commercial agreements, including terms and conditions of use; code escrow; component supply; support and maintenance; hosting; licensing and distribution; service and software; and reseller and distribution agreements
- risk management relating to anti-money laundering, fraud and proceeds of crime