- Awards & Recognition
- Professional Involvement
Tim Lowman is head of the firm's Intellectual Property Group and a member of its Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group. He is known as a client-centric, forward-thinking, detail-oriented and personable lawyer. Clients and colleagues recommend him for his consistent excellence in the diverse areas in which he practices. He is a Certified Specialist in Civil Litigation by the Law Society of Ontario as well as a registered Canadian Trademark Agent, a Certified Arbitrator and a Certified Licensing Professional.
Tim has more than 40 years of experience as counsel in a broad range of commercial and intellectual property litigation, including patent, trademark, copyright, professional errors and omissions, trade secrets, invention ownership, product liability and employment law claims, in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Alberta Court of King’s Bench, Federal Court of Canada, Ontario Court of Appeal, Federal Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of Canada.
Since 2005, Tim has also carried on an arbitration practice in domestic and international commercial cases as counsel and as an independent arbitrator, in matters involving commercial agreements in the entertainment, food and beverage, energy and mining, technology, insurance and life sciences sectors. He has experience in arbitrations under the World Intellectual Property Organization Arbitration Rules, the Independent Film and Television Alliance Rules for International Arbitration, ICAA (Ontario), AAA and JAMS.
Tim is also experienced in structuring, drafting and negotiating technology licences and related commercial agreements, including company and asset purchases and sales, joint ventures and joint development agreements, for the food and beverage, energy and mining, entertainment and life sciences sectors.
Awards & Recognition
- Registered Trademark Agent (Canada)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) in International Arbitration
- Arbitrator on the World Intellectual Property Organization List of Neutrals
- Certified Licensing Professional (CLP), Licensing Executives Society
- Fellow of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), President and Chair of the IPIC Board of Directors (2022-2023), Vice President of the IPIC Board of Directors (2022), Secretary of the IPIC Board of Directors (2020-2021), Treasurer of the IPIC Board of Directors (2019-2020), Member of IPIC Council (2015-2017) and Chair of the IPIC Insurance Committee (1997-present)
- Recommended by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) in IAM Strategy 300 – The World’s Leading IP Strategists, IAM Patent 1000 – The World's Leading Patent Professionals, IAM Licensing 250 – The World’s Leading Patent & Technology Licensing Lawyers
- Recognized in Managing Intellectual Property's IP STARS Handbook as a Trademark Star - Canada
- Recognized in World Trademark Review 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals as a leading individual in enforcement and litigation
Tim has authored papers on topics such as civil litigation, professional errors and omissions, product liability, technology licensing and intellectual property. He has also presented on these topics at conferences in Canada and abroad for the Law Society of Ontario, Licensing Executives Society, Canadian Bar Association, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, Osgoode Professional Development, American Law Institute/American Bar Association, Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys, Association of Biotechnology Companies, Association of University Technology Managers, Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Toronto Biotechnology Initiative, Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle and Ontario Insurance Institute, as well as for various Canadian and international insurance companies.
Tim is the author of Intellectual Property and International Business in “Legal Aspects of International Business: A Canadian Perspective,” 3rd Edition (2014) and 4th Edition, (2020).
- Law Society of Ontario
- The Advocates’ Society
- Defence Research Institute
- Licensing Executives Society
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- American Bar Association
- Royal Canadian Military Institute
- Recipient, Ontario Volunteer Service Award from the Government of Ontario
- Long-standing Scout Leader – Awarded the Medal of Merit (2007) by the Governor General of Canada and the Silver Acorn (2013)
- Past-President, Old Mill Community Association
Tim is Adjunct Faculty at Ryerson University (Business/Intellectual Property Law) and has been an instructor, lecturer and judge for The Advocates’ Society, Osgoode Hall Law School (Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop) and University of Toronto Faculty of Law litigation programs. He was also an instructor at the Law Society of Upper Canada Bar Admission Course, both in Civil Litigation and Advocacy, from 1986-2006.
- LLB, Osgoode Hall Law School